Family Fun in Blue Ridge, GA
Fun Things to See and Do in the North Georgia Mountains:
* The Lilly Pad Village: The all time best place for the kids. The Lilly Pad has everything for the kids enjoyment: gem mining, putt putt, pond fishing, ice cream, guided hikes, and to top it all off an outdoor cafe for the parents to relax by the pond while their kids are having the time of their life. 706 534 1317
* Ride the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway: Downtown Blue Ridge at the historic Depot. Ride the train alongside the beautiful Toccoa River from Blue Ridge to McCaysville/Copperhill, TN. Fun for the whole family. Call for ticket information at 706-632-9833, or visit the Depot and the Railway Gift Store.
* Huck's General Store located on Main Street in Historic Downtown Blue Ridge - step into Huck's and find yourself stepping back in time to an old- fashioned North Georgia store with lots of goodies for both kids and adults. Huck's offers Gem-mining - the most educational fun, and sought-after experience you and your kids will experience in this North Georgia area! Miniature golf - deceivingly complex course, loads of fun! From unique dips, sauces, coffees, soaps, and mugs to barrels of old-fashioned candies, unique toys, books, and the list goes on! A fun hang-out for kids of all ages - and adults! 706-946-4825
* Fields of the Wood Bible Park - located in Murphy, NC (30 minutes from Blue Ridge). Claimed the #1 Family Attraction in the Entire Smokies Area. Experience the peacefulness that Fields of Woods Bible Park offers - free to all who enter, from sunrise to sunset - Here you will find the Word of God beautifully engraved in stones all throughout the many acres of this serene park. Most spectacular of all - Climb the Ten Commandments Mountain where you will find 4feet x 5 feet high concrete letters and numbers, proudly displaying the Ten Commandments on the entire slope of this mountain. At the top you will find a 30 foot Bible, and from that you can view beautiful panoramic views. See Golgotha, go inside a replica of Jesus' tomb, visit the Psalms of Praise, hike the nature trails, climb to the top and pray atop Prayer Mountain, enjoy food, gift shop, picnic area, duck pond and more.
* Play in Downtown Blue Ridge Park: Charming park right in the center of North Georgia's Downtown Blue Ridge, location of Arts in the Park and Wildlife Arts Festivals, summer concerts, and Blue Ridge Mountain Adventure Race finish line. Picnic tables, playground and gazebo.
*Mercier Orchards: On Hwy 5, 2 miles from McDonalds. More than a farmers market. They have North Georgia's yummiest fried pies, apple cider doughnuts, apples, peaches, frozen fruit drinks, jams, preserves, meat market, and gift shop. Grab a boxed lunch for your picnic. This North Georgia market is open year-round.
*Fish or Picnic at Horseshoe Bend Park on the River: McCaysville. Pretty park located in the bend of the Toccoa River on River Road off Hwy. 60. Fishing, playground, covered picnic tables, ball fields, restrooms. Home to Pickin' in the Park live Bluegrass, Blues and Jazz music evenings beginning around 6p till dusk, May through September. Bring your own instrument, dance, grill out, and enjoy the music! For more information, call 423-496-4653.
* Whitewater Rafting: Raft the wild Ocoee River just 30 minutes from Blue Ridge. Class 3 and 4 rapids and non-stop action. Call the Ocoee Adventure Center at 888-723-8622. Explore the Ocoee Whitewater Center: Site of the 1996 Summer Olympics. Great fun for the kids! Hiking trails, swimming holes, nature exhibits, Legacy Bridge. Hwy 64 between Ducktown, TN and Cleveland, TN approximately 35 minutes from Blue Ridge.
*Pontoon and jet ski rentals at Lake Blue Ridge Marina - rent a pontoon or jet ski and spend the day on North Georgia's beautiful Lake Blue Ridge.
* Swim at Morganton Point Recreation Area: Recreation area on Lake Blue Ridge with fishing, swimming - there' s a beach area, picnicking, restrooms, boating and camping. Pebble beach. 2 paved boat ramps.
* Tube the Toccoa River: Fun for all ages. Toccoa Valley Campground on Aska Road offers tubes, kayaks, funyaks rentals and tube trips down North Georgia's beautiful Toccoa River. Jon Ron Outfitters also offers river rental equipment. Rolling Thunder River Comapny offers rentals and trips.
* Horseback Riding: Lots of choices for outfitters in the North Georgia area. Riding for all ages, plus hayrides and overnight trips with Blanch Manor.
* Fishing: Fisherman's paradise in Fannin County.
* Southern Tree Plantation: During the fall and Christmas seasons in North Georgia, this is a kids paradise. Enjoy mazes, large inflatable slide, pony rides, train ride, hayrides and much more. Large pumpkin patch, and acres of Christmas trees. An active growing plantation of pumpkins and Christmas trees, as well as an event location for weddings, large groups, and special events. For more information call 706-745-0601.
* Drive-in Movie: Enjoy a drive-in movie at the Swan Drive-in, one of Georgia's four remaining drive-in theaters. 706-632-5235. Also, Blue Ridge Twin Cinema is located on Hwy 5 (behind the McDonalds). 706-632-7202
* Hiking: Hiking trails abound in the area. Hike North Georgia's Aska Trails on Aska Road in the Aska Adventure Area, or visit the Swinging Bridge over the Toccoa River. For more information and directions to specific hikes click on Activities - Outdoor Activities - Hiking on our website.
* Bowling: Fannin Lanes - 4115 East First Street in Blue Ridge. 706-632-2064
* Fannin County Library: Children's Story Time every Tuesday at noon - story and crafts. Located in the Fannin County Courthouse across the street from the park. Hours: Tues - Fri. 9a-5p. 706-632-5263
* Community Theater : enjoy dramas, comedies, and musical productions, plus a 2-week children's acting camp (Sunny D's Childre's Theater) and performance during June. For more information: 706-632-9223, or visit www.blueridgecommunitytheater.com
* Fun World Family Entertainment Center: located in Hiawasse, about 40 minutes up Hwy.515 towards Blairsville- perfect place for the family, as there is something for everyone ranging from batting cages, go-cart racing, over a hundred arcade games, indoor miniature golf, inflatables, toddler town, rock climbing wall, and so much more!
* Gorilla-Haven: Gorilla Haven is the world's only private certified gorilla holding facility. It was not designed to be open to the public and is still under construction, but owners, Steuart and Jane Dewar, have offered to provide some personal tours to offer a rare opportunity to our friends and neighbors, and to help raise funds for this important project. For more information, call 706-851-9440.
* Kangaroo Conservation Center : The Center is dedicated to the preservation of kangaroo species through captive breeding and public education. Currently exhibiting hundreds of kangaroos of 9 species, the Center has successfully bred and cared for over a dozen different species of marsupials in the past 26 years. Visit and enjoy the unique wildlife educational adventure that awaits you, an experience to remember forever! For more information, call 706-265-6100.
* Babyland General Hospital - Home of the Cabbage Patch Kids Located in Helen, GA at 73 W. Underwood St., Cleveland, GA (9 miles south of Helen) Babyland General is in a turn of the century medical clinic. Selected as one of the Travel Channel's Top Ten Toylands, Babyland General is a must-see with thousands of cabbage patch babies just waiting to be adopted. Visiting hours Mon.-Sat. 9-5, Sun 10-5; closed Major Holidays.
* Panning for Gold - Consolidated Gold Mine - While in North Georgia's beautiful Dahlonega, enjoy underground tours of the gold mines, offering gold panning and gem grubbing.
* Crisson Gold Mines - Dahlonega - an actual open pit gold mine established in 1847 and worked commercially until the 1980's. We are the oldest gold mining establishment in North Georgia. You can pan for gold. Also have gem stone grubbing...the dirt is from Franklin, NC which is famous for its rubies and sapphires.
* GEOCACHING - GPS Treasure Hunting in the North Georgia Mountains!