Rustic American Bar & Grill
Chester’s is a rustic American bar and grill located on the corner of East Main and Depot Street in beautiful, historic downtown Blue Ridge, Georgia. The bar and grill has a modern rustic feel and features high quality food, an impressive wine list, signature cocktails, and regionally crafted beer. Both food and drink menus have many offerings from the southeastern region, as well as other departures from the ordinary and a rotation of seasonally inspired selections.
Executive Chef: Christopher Adgate, CEC
Who is Chester Brunnenmeyer?
Chester Brunnenmeyer’s Bar and Grill is owned and operated by Chester’s grandson, Stuart Arp, and his wife, Stacy Heath. Chester’s parents, John and Lena, owned and operated a saloon in the small town of Washington, IL, from 1896 until 1906, when the town went dry. They then turned the business into Brunnenmeyer’s grocery store, where Chester delivered groceries for many years. In 1944 Chester inherited the building and transformed it into a tavern called The Spot, where on October 5, 1952, his daughter, Mary Brunnenmeyer, and her new husband, Harlan K. Arp, had their wedding reception. Chester operated The Spot until he sold the building shortly after Mary and Harlan’s wedding.
The Gartrell Building
Chester Brunnenmeyer’s Bar and Grill is located on the first floor of the old Gartrell Hotel. During the 1920's and 1930’s Blue Ridge, GA, was a bustling rail center where tourists came to visit attractions such as the mineral springs and the Mary P. Willingham School for Girls. The Gartrell Hotel, owned and operated by Annie and William Gartrell, accommodated the visitors. It contained 12 rooms on the second floor with retail stores below. The building changed hands several times throughout the years becoming a flower shop, an auto parts store and an antique mall. In 2014 the building was bought and restored by Mike and Sherry Triebert. The upstairs still resembles the layout from the old gartrell hotel, but is now the Blue Ridge Antique Mall.